What an eye-opening reminder today at work was for me. My day started off slow because I was so tired from spending the night before out for a friend's birthday instead of sleeping in my bed at 9pm! God gave me strength and energy this morning to get through work enough until my body truly woke up. Today, I was doing things that were either part of my job description or things that I had been told to do while "floating" (walking around an area to see if the teacher's need help). To me, it was just things that I am supposed to be doing. With some things, I went above and beyond because I felt it was needed at the time. With others, I wish someone had done that for me or someone had done it for me and I knew how helpful it was. While doing those things, I hadn't thought twice about them, but the responses I got for doing those things shocked me. There was such overwhelming gratitude and comments about how no one else ever does those things. It amazed me because I know there are others who are assigned to do the same type of things that I am. I
t made me realize that as Americans, and even Christians, we tend to become minimalists when it comes to our jobs or work ethic. As teachers, sometimes we feel that we go above and beyond too much, but are we truly completing our job description first? I realized often times we do what we are told begrudgingly or do the least possible to say that we finished. As Christians, is that truly what Jesus would want of us? Sometimes I wonder what the world would be like if we all did our jobs to the fullest of our job description (having a good work ethic) and sometimes even took that extra step or two. Or goodness, even if we tried to just do our jobs to the fullest joyfully how much things would change.
Yes, I know, some are thinking "but I wouldn't be appreciated". I must argue that this is not why we should do it! We do not do things for the purpose of gaining, but to serve others as Christ did. Imagine what our lives would be like if God only did the least possible? I don't think I would want Him to limit his blessings based on my gratitude or what He would gain from me! Just think of the blessing that you could be to someone else by just doing your job to the fullest and joyfully? People may not notice at first, but at some point they will. You may not ever know it or they may express it to you as people did with me today. The point is not the recognition but the action and knowing that you have done your job for the glory of God's kingdom. If you remember, Jesus told many that He helped or healed to not tell others of what He had done, but the people were so blessed and grateful they could not help but tell someone else!
Working at this preschool has given me a lot of insight. The best part of my job is being able to interact with so many different people on staff because I learn so much through different situations. This lesson was expressed to me today. The way I have been treated here by the staff, especially the office staff, also has reminded me that little actions can go far. Asking me how my day was, acknowledging me when seen, and smiles always make my day better. If we all reacted to each other how I have been treated here and in the aforementioned method, how much better would our workplaces and lives be? I sure am willing to find out!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'll be keeping this in mind at work today. :)
ReplyDelete